Recent Posts

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Michelangelo/Schongauer Copy

As I was traveling for a few months once again for my job, just before Christmas, I didn't have much opportunity for creating art, but thought I'd show this little copy I did after visiting The Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, TX.


I copied these cute little demons from what is believed to be Michelangelo's first known painting done when he was 12 or 13 years old, one of only four easel paintings generally regarded as coming from his hand. I really enjoyed seeing this little 18"x13" gem, acquired by The Kimbell in 2009.


Michelangelo Buonarroti, Italian (1475-1564), Torment of Saint Anthony, c. 1487-88, tempera and oil on panel



Martin Schongauer, German (c. 1445-1491), Saint Anthony Tormented by Demons, c. 1470-75, engraving. The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Michelangelo's painting, the first to enter an American collection, was copied from this engraving by the 15th-century German master Martin Schongauer . I thought you all might enjoy seeing these artworks. Tomorrow I will post a copy I did from the Caravaggio exhibit that was at The Kimbell.

3 comments:

Mark Molnar said...

these are really cool Steve! and its also great to see the originals.
thanks for sharing!

Steve Anderson said...

Glad you liked these, Mark. I figured someone would enjoy this little Michelangelo.

Mark Harchar said...

Nice to have you back. I have missed your pencils.